Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Teece's Lighting

Since I could not finish painting the dome I concentrated on lighting for the dome.  I wanted to go on the cheep as much as possible but I wanted it to look good.  The electronics and R/C is really why I wanted to do this, well that and my love of Star Wars.  So look no further than Teece's lighting.

I followed the forums and ordered parts from 10 different suppliers for a million tiny LEDS, ok not a million but close enough.  Most everything was off of eBay from China, except a few components like the arduino and pcbs, which funny enough some of the stuff from China made it here before the stuff from Colorado, it was all ordered the same day within 10 minutes of one another I might add.

I also got the pleasure of not finding any flangless LEDs and had to clip the flange off of the ones I did find.   That was a mess but one I and my wife, again love you honey, endured via the vacuum after each session.

After biting my nails in anticipation waiting and fretting Christmas came and went and my parts trickled in from the various vendors over the holiday and, because I don't take pictures like I should here is the finished product.

Honestly I was only able to finish it because of Santa Mom, I was provided this nice stocking stuffer from Santa Mom:

Don't try to use a crap soldering iron just get the good one and be done with it.  I have fought with the cheap ones for years now and after having a professional Weller Iron it is awesome.  It works better, lasts longer, heats quicker, feels better in your hand, is lighter and doesn't burn up after using it for an hour straight.  Sorry if that sounds like an advertisement but I do love my new iron.

Here is a video of the finished Teece's kit, you might just kill the sound it is just background humming or whatever was on TV that night.


Sorry about some of the angles, basically it just proves I got it working and I am happy with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment